Cardiff, £50,000- £75,000 pa plus car allowance
Strong regional Tier 1 Contractor is seeking a Design Manager to initially enable the build of a new £34million facility in the center of Cardiff. This is a great opportunity to be instrumental in a flagship development located in the heart of the city.
With a proven record of managing all design aspects of a project from tender through to completion, you will be expected to work effectively as an integral member of the bid and construction delivery team. Initially based on site, you will flexibility as and when required.
With all pre-construction now cleared and groundworks already happening, this is a great time to join the project. Due to the size of the contract and the notoriety around the project, this role requires an experienced person who has hands on experience of Construction.
Successful candidates will be well supported by the wider team who are all passionate about delivering the very best quality for their Clients.
A bit more about the overall responsibilities and characteristics of the Design Manager;
• Be able to demonstrate effective design leadership qualities to encourage effective design team and construction team co-ordination and collaborative working to the Project goal
• Embracing Digital Construction to enable a digital build-before-we build team approach
• Understanding the project requirements including Client brief & business processes, and Employer Requirements.
• Assist with bid writing, review and preparation of tender submission documents.
• Identifying, managing and mitigating design risk as part of the team.
• Identifying opportunities to improve the design by considering how to improve safety, incorporate buildability, improve quality, reduce defects, and provide best value compliant solutions.
• Working with the tender team to develop the Contractor’s Proposals document.
• Reporting to the Project Manager, take responsibility for the management of the design through preconstruction and construction stages in line with company procedures; including managing the design development process and the interface with specialist sub-contract design.
• Arrange design audits/compliance checks if required.
• Ensuring designs are developed in line with the commercial objectives and contract requirements.
• Preparing and reach agreement to the Design Management Plan and BIM Execution Plan
• Be aware of / provide input into, designer appointment / novation; roles and responsibilities (including a Design Interface Responsibility Matrix), scope of services, fee and fee drawdown
• In conjunction with the Project team, develop and reach agreement on the design programme and Information deliverables, ensuring this is fully co-ordinated with the project procurement and construction programmes and monitor performance.
• Co-ordinating the whole design process, managing change, information approvals and working closely with the client, employer’s representatives, design team and legislative bodies.
• Organising and chairing design co-ordination and design progress meetings with the design team and sub-contractors and ensuring that design risk assessments are produced. Prepare minutes, notes and reports as required to ensure effective communication and accurate records are maintained
• Managing the document control process, supported by a document controller
Maintaining a professional approach with clients and their professional teams, sub-contractors and suppliers
Key Skills for the role of Design Manager:
• Strong leadership and management skills, with a “can-do” and collaborative approach
• Enthusiastic team player, able to listen, understand, engage and motivate, and with confidence to make decisions when required.
• A desire to constantly learn, improve and share knowledge and experience
• A thorough understanding of both the design and construction processes, and the interface between them
• A good commercial understanding of contracts, procurement routes and risk management
• Good collaborative planning skills
• Thorough understanding of 3d design and BIM, with a desire to drive improvements and benefits through embracing digital construction
• Excellent communication skills, both at the personal level and more formal reporting level.
• Recognised degree qualification or equivalent and CIOB or equivalent is preferable.
Benefits of joining this organization include:
- Car Allowance/ company car
- Regular social and away days (particularly centered around cycling and golf!)
- Good Pension scheme
- 25 days holiday rising with length of service
- Flexible and supportive working environment
- A strong regional business that feeds in to a wider national company
- Healthy pipeline of business.
Please apply with your CV to Gemma Day or call 0117 203 3399 to discuss further.
Harvey Richmond are acting as an agency in respect of this role. Successful applicants will be contacted within 7 days. By applying for this position you are accepting that your CV may be retained in order to contact you with any roles that may be of interest.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org